Equitas Resources Corp. (“Equitas” or the “Company”) (TSXV: EQT) (US: EQTRF) (Frankfurt: T6UN) is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Sèrgio Amaro Aquino as Equitas’ Brazilian General Manager and also welcomes Mr. Michael Bennett and Mr. Everett Makela to join the Board of Directors.
“We are very pleased to welcome Sèrgio as our General Manager. He is well known to the board and local mining community. He has considerable experience in start-up and running of gold mines in Brazil, and is well connected with the government and regional mining authorities. He brings key qualities and local relationships which I believe will enable our future growth.” states Chris Harris, President and CEO of Equitas.
Sèrgio Amaro Aquino
Mr. Sèrgio Aquino, P. Geo., brings over 35 years of experience in the mining sector and has a proven track record in successful project management and construction. He will take responsibility for leading the Brazilian team on exploration, government relations, mining and for the construction of the Cajueiro gold project. Sèrgio has previously been responsible for:
- Head of Diamond Exploration for Rio Tinto do Brasil in Mato Grosso, Brazil.
- General Manager in charge of exploration and field operations of alluvial gold deposits for Dumbras Empreendimentos e Participacoes Ltda. which later merged with Eike Batista’s TVX Gold.
- Co-founded Serabi Mining PLC, Brazil Director, set up exploration and first industrial full licensed underground mining operation on the Tapajos Gold Belt in Para State.
- Consulting for Cancana/Sentient group; Electrum Capital; Magellan Minerals and others.
- Serves as the President of Itaituba’s Municipality Environmental Counsel, as President of the West Para State Gold Miners Syndicate – SIMEOESPA and serves as a Board member of the Tapajos Gold Miners Association.
Mr. Michael Bennett, P.Geo., was one of the founding principals of Alta Floresta Gold (our recently acquired Brazilian subsidiary), and brings over 30 years of mining experience (23 years in South America), a wealth of practical experience and a deep understanding of South American culture. He has managed numerous exploration projects across South America, with three recorded gold discoveries. He was responsible for overseeing mining and exploration projects with over 100 employees in Brazil and Mexico. Mike has held senior local government appointments in South America including Mayor of Porongo, President of the Municipal Association and President of the Chamber of Mines in Santa Cruz, Bolivia.
Mr. Everett Makela, P. Geo., has served as Equitas VP Exploration since February 3, 2015 and has brought over 30 years of exploration experience to the team. During a career with Inco and Vale, Everett held roles of increasing responsibility in settings ranging from grassroots evaluations to near-mine resource definition. Everett excels at target generation, design and implementation of exploration programs, and the creation of joint venture and alliance opportunities. Everett is a member of APGO, PEGNL, PDAC and SEG.
Chris Harris concluded “With the addition of Everett, Mike and Sèrgio I believe we have assembled a talented and very capable team that share our medium term strategy of growing Equitas to becoming a mid-tier gold producer in Brazil. The team is dedicated to taking Equitas through this exciting transformation to producer, and to so drive the Company to greater heights.”
Mr. Alan Carter has elected to step down from the Equitas Board of Directors and we would like to thank Alan for his service while on the Boards of Equitas and Alta Floresta Gold, and wish him well in his future endeavours.